The New Zealand Disability Karate Association Newsletter
Welcome to the Summer issue of the New Zealand Disability Karate Association newsletter.
This is the first newsletter of 2022.
This year we have added a new class specifically for Kobudo (weapons) training. This new class will be every 2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month. These classes will be one and half hours long. Starting at 7:30pm and ending at 9pm.
This will be an exciting extention to your karate training.
Special Easter Class
On the 13th April we will have our Easter class. Remember to dress up in your favorite Easter costume.
There will be Easter eggs, a lolly scramble and lots of games.
Can you hop higher than Sensei?
Everyone is welcome both old and new students!
Who has graded?
There has been two grading since our last newsletter. We have five new yellow belts and two new green belts.
We have two new members, who are likely to grade to yellow belt before the next newsletter.
In our club there are now
- 2 white belts (10th kyu)
- 9 yellow belts (9th kyu)
- 1 orange belt (8th kyu)
- 4 green belts (7th kyu)
- Sadly a number of our orange belt students have left the club.
What is coming up
Our plans for the next quarter
- Complete the update of the syllabus for the new grades and weapons training.
- Complete work on the new information pack for schools and local businesses.
- Finish the incident response plan for the club.
- We are targeting businesses around Wellington for funding support.
- We are working on our 2021 annual report for Charities Services, which is due in April 2022.
- Complete the second book in the Rainbro series.
- Work with Karate New Zealand to develop changes for tournament to support people living with disability.
- Remember you can invite your friends along to class.
Rainbro Joins a Dojo
The first book in the the Rainbro series, "Rainbro Joins a Dojo" is available on Amazon in paperback and as a Kindle eBook. This is the story of a young fish who tries Karate for the first time.
Any money made from book sales will go towards running the club.
The copies in the dojo will sold at the special price of $15, which is a saving of nine dollars.
Book two will be out mid-year and will continue Rainbro's adventures as Rainbro grades to yellow belt.
Annual General Meeting
Our AGM will be on 2nd March. This will be instead of training and will start a 6:30pm. Everyone is welcome.
- We will review the annual report before sending it to Charities Services.
- Discuss Funding and Grants.
- Discuss the Rainbro books.
- Discuss changes to the class structure.
- Discuss the work we are doing with Karate New Zealand.
- Discuss the impacts of COVID-19 on the club.
Look out for the Autumn issue and feel free to share this newsletter with your friends.
Membership is free and open to anyone who wishes to take part in the martial arts training offered by the club. All the details are on our website. www.karatedojo.nz