The New Zealand Disability Karate Association Newsletter
Welcome to the Summer issue of the New Zealand Disability Karate Association newsletter.
This is the first newsletter of 2023.
This year we have added a new weapon to our Kobudo training, the sai. From the 8th March every 2nd Wednesday we will be learning to use the Sai. The 4th Wednesday of the month we will continue to train with the Bo.
This will be an exciting addition to our Kobudo training.
Special Easter Class
On the 5th April we will have our Easter class. Remember to dress up in your favorite Easter costume.
There will be Easter eggs, a lolly scramble and lots of games.
Can you hop higher than Sensei?
Everyone is welcome both old and new students!
Who has graded?
There has been one grading since our last newsletter. We have five new yellow belts and two new orange belts.
We have three new club members, who are likely to grade to yellow belt before the next newsletter.
In our club there are now
- 6 white belts (10th kyu)
- 10 yellow belts (9th kyu)
- 7 orange belt (8th kyu)
- 4 green belts (7th kyu)
What is coming up
Our plans for the next quarter
- Publish the fouth book in the Rainbro series.
- Approach local bookshops to see if they would consider selling the Rainbro series.
- Finish work on the new information pack for schools and local businesses.
- Submit a funding application to the Wellington Community Trust. They have supported us over the last couple of years.
- Run our second self-defence class for the local community.
- Have a stand at the Armageddon Expo in April to enable us to promote the Rainbro books and the club.
- Have a stand at a local disablity show in March.
- Send the 2022 annual report to Charities Services.
- Remember you can invite your friends along to class.
Rainbro Competes in Tournament
The third book in the the Rainbro series has been published. It is available on Amazon in paperback and as a Kindle eBook.
Any money made from book sales will go towards running the club.
The copies in the dojo will sold at the special price of $15, which is a saving of nine dollars.
Book four will be out in April and will continue Rainbro's karate adventures.
Annual General Meeting
Our AGM will be on Sunday 5th March. This will be instead of Zoom training and will start at 4pm. Everyone is welcome.
- We will review the annual report.
- Debate the Code of Conduct.
- Brainstorm funding and grants.
- Review changes to the class structure.
- Debate the work we are doing to open a second class.
- Discuss the Rainbro books.
Look out for the Autumn issue and feel free to share this newsletter with your friends.
If there is anything you would like to see in the next newsletter let an instructor know.
Membership is free and open to anyone who wishes to take part in the martial arts training offered by the club. All the details are on our website. www.karatedojo.nz